After spending the majority of the first semester brainstorming and refining the design of the vehicle, we are now getting our hands dirty. Zach taught welding seminars to get the team ready to build the frame and other related projects. First, some time was spent preparing and machining the tubes, but then we put on our masks and TIG welded them all together. This year, we selected 4130 cromoly steel for the frame material due to its excellent strength and ease in producing strong welds.
In order to hold the frame together while it was being welded, we created an alignment jig. The configuration of extruded aluminum and machined pieces is fully adjustable so we can use it for future frames.
This year we decided to reduce the weight by creating a one piece, carbon fiber seat. We used a comfortable bicycle seat from a production recumbent as the mold.